REQUEST FOR WITHDRAWAL OF CONTENT ON AN INTERNET SITE
This document makes it possible to make a request for removal of content present on the internet. This allows you to directly contact the publisher or author of the content that manages the website to request the withdrawal when the content in question is prohibited by law, violates your privacy, your copyright or when it is defamatory or damaging to your reputation.
How to use this document?
Your request to remove content must indicate what exact content you want removed from the site, as well as the reasons for the withdrawal. Requests may concern different types of content:
· Removal of content prohibited by law: this is content condemned by law as soon as it is published on the internet. For example, we can talk about incitement to racial hatred, incitement to violence or apology for terrorism;
· Removal of content that violates privacy: this is content that does not respect your privacy. One can evoke a breach of medical confidentiality, an infringement of the respect of the sentimental life, etc ...;
· The removal of copyright infringing content: the use or reproduction of one of your works (illustrations, photographic works, paintings, musical compositions etc ...) by a other person, without your permission or by exceeding your authorization (ie by not respecting the limits of the authorization made);
· Removal of defamatory or reputational content: content or statement that gives you an unverified fact that affects your honor or image.
You may also use this letter template for a request not listed above.
In order to support your request, it is necessary to precisely indicate the URLs of the web pages on which the content must be deleted or removed. You must also describe the situation and justify your claim by mentioning the reasons that prompt you to act. Warning ! You must be especially careful before making such a withdrawal request!
The publication of content on the internet is freedom of expression. It is a fundamental right that allows anyone to express themselves freely and thus share their opinions. The request for removal of content must be particularly precise, so as not to infringe the rights of its author.
Attention, a request for improper withdrawal is likely to be sanctioned. Once the application is completed and signed, you must send it to the author of the site where the content to be removed (whose contact details can be found in the legal notice) by registered mail with acknowledgment of receipt, in order to keep proof of your request.
The applicable law here will depend on the content of the request sent to the person in charge of the website. It is these legal provisions that will support your claim by automatically fitting into the model.
· For content prohibited by law: Article 24 of the Law of 29 July 1881 on freedom of the press and articles 227-23 and 227-24 and 421-2-5 of the Penal Code
· For copyright infringing content: Articles L111-1 et seq. Of the Intellectual Property Code
· For defamatory or reputational content: articles 29 to 32 of the law of 29 July 1881 on freedom of the press and articles R621-1 to R621-2 of the Penal Code
· For content violating privacy: respect for privacy is a fundamental right, its achievement is condemned by Articles L226-1 and following of the Penal Code.
Help from a lawyer
You will be able to choose to consult a lawyer if you need help.
The lawyer can answer your questions or help you in your steps. This option will be offered at the end of the document.